Sunday, October 25, 2009

Memories of a Year Ago

It was around this time last year that I got serious about going to the Vancouver 2010 Olympics and started to build my ticket request. Many nights were spent going over the schedule, ticket prices, events and dates. When I was finally happy with the schedule, it was submitted and then I sat and waited to hear the outcome. Had I known what the future would hold, I may have decided against the trip. About a month after submitting that ticket request, I was laid off from my job. Not knowing when I would be working again, the Olympics were the last thing on my mind. Days were spent job hunting with little or no results and all I did was worry how I was going to pay bills. In December, a few weeks after losing my job, we got the results of my ticket request. Two events, out of all that planning, is what we were awarded. At the time, I wasn’t even sure if I would ever get to the Olympics. Selling those tickets and calling off the trip was looking like a strong possibility.

Fast forward to April of this year and it was Day 1 of my new job. I was so happy to be working again, and more important, I was happy to have landed a good job. In May when I got notice of Phase 2 tickets going on sale, I knew that this trip was going to go forward. As I said in a previous post, I was going to make sure we got enough tickets to justify going to Vancouver. That phase of tickets was very successful for us and I was able to move forward with planning our trip. I’m very lucky and fortunate to be able to experience this. I really feel as though I am a part of a very special group of people. It’s truly a once in a lifetime experience.

If I didn’t get a job when I did, none of this would be happening. When I look back on the last year, so much has happened and I wouldn’t change any of it. These last few months have been so much fun for me. I think I appreciate this experience more because I did lose my job and thought that this would never be possible. It goes to show you that dreams can come true and I am living one of mine.

Christina Wallaert

No comments:

Post a Comment