Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Crazy Idea

One of my most favourite parts of the Olympics are the Opening Ceremonies.  Out of all the things in Vancouver, it is the one that I really wish I had tickets for.  When I started planning this trip last year, I had to decide what duration of the Olympics I wanted to attend.  My first choice was the beginning of the Games because I really wanted to attend the Opening Ceremonies.  After giving it some thought, I realized that if I was there when the Olympics started, I would never be able to leave half way through to come home and staying for the entire 16 days was financially out of the question.  I made the decision to arrive in Vancouver for the second half of the Olympics.  I would see the Closing Ceremonies and leave when everything was done.  I could come home without feeling like I was leaving the action behind.

A few weeks ago, when Phase 3 tickets were postponed to November 14th, an idea began to form in my mind.  What if I could get just one ticket for me to the Opening Ceremony?  If I could, I would fly into Vancouver the night before and leave the following day.  This is of course assuming one of my Vancouver friends would allow me to crash at one of their places for a few nights.  Is that totally insane?  Of course it is, but that just goes to show you the level of my Olympic addiction.  This way, everything I ever wanted to see at the Olympics I would be going to.  Sadly, I was not able to obtain a ticket.  There were seats available but $1100 and $750 are way out of my price range.  So my original trip plans stand, we will leave Toronto middle of February and attend the second half of Vancouver 2010.  I am very happy with that.

I have not given up on trying to get an Opening Ceremony ticket.  If it is meant to be, then I will be there.  If it is not, then it will happen some other time.  I am lucky to have the events that we are already going to.  The Opening Ceremony would have just been a nice bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment