Saturday, January 9, 2010

Visiting Medals of Olympics Past

Back in mid December before all the Olympic Torch Relay hoopla started, I dragged my poor mother to the Hockey Hall of Fame in downtown Toronto. Why, you ask, would a fashion lover, Olympic crazed person like me ever want to attend the Hockey Hall of Fame? Well because they have the most fantastic exhibit ever. I don’t know how they did it but they managed to get together a collection of Olympic medals from every single Olympics. Yes that is right, every single one from 1896 up to Beijing 2008. For an Olympic lover like myself who has been planning her trip to Vancouver 2010 since October 2008, this seemed like a must do for me. It was also a great thing to see in anticipation of what Vancouver 2010 will be. You see I am really annoyed to be out of the loop as to what is going on in Vancouver right now as they get ready to put on the greatest Olympics ever. This trek to the Hockey Hall of Fame to see all the medals from Olympics past was one small thing I could do as pre trip homage to the Olympics.


Medals of our past Canadian Olympic Host cities.

It was neat to see them all together listed by year and host city. It was also interesting to see the variety in the style of medals. Early on the medals kind of looked the same. Once they became more artistic, you could see how the art styles of the host cities influence the design of the medals.

The Hockey Hall of Fame has this exhibit on display until January 15, 2010 if you are in the Toronto area and want to check it out. I spent most of my time looking at the medals but they have other exhibits and hockey paraphernalia that is fun to look at too. My Mom loved all the Detroit Red Wings uniforms they had.

I took pictures as best I could. Flash photos were strictly a no no. And just because its there, we posed for a picture with the Stanley Cup.  To see all the photos, visit my online album of the medals.

Hockey Hall of Fame
Precious Medals: The Complete Olympic Collection
Brookfield Place-30 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON
http://www.hhof.com/


The Stanley Cup.

Most recent medals.
Earliest medals.

No comments:

Post a Comment