Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 12 - LiveCity Yaletown and Men's Team Canada Hockey

February 23, 2010

Today we headed over to LiveCity Yaletown. I had been to the Downtown one and wasn't that impressed. I was hoping for bigger and better things in Yaletown. The line up was not to bad, we were inside within 20 minutes. As soon as we got in we joined the line up to enter the Coke pavillion. We waited close to 45 minutes to get in here and I have to say I don't think it was worth it. The best parts of the pavillion are on your way in, once inside you can't really get back to that area.  They had a display of past Coke bottles and it was cool to see all the designs and how they had changed over the years.  There was also a display of past Olympic torches. 


Once inside we watched a short movie that showed clips from the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Torch Relay.  And then it was into the pavillion.  Coke teamed up with Aboriginal artists and they each designed a Coke bottle.  Those were really cool to look at. They are being auctioned off during the Olympics.  I believed there were 12 bottles in total and there were 6 on display at this location.
Because it took so long to get into here, we didn't have time to go to any of the other sponsor tents; Panasonic, Samsung or Acer.  We will try to go back but I'm not sure we'll get there.  Our schedule is pretty full for the weekend.


We had tickets for the 4:30pm hockey game, Team Canada against Germany. I was looking forward to this one.  We walked to Canada Hockey Place in the pouring rain. There was a huge crowd of people waiting to get in. The previous game went into overtime so I think they were a bit late getting people in for the 4:30 game.  Eventually we got to our seats, we had row 15 in one of the 300 sections. I thought this sounded good until the volunteer told us to go straight to the top.  Turns out row 15 is the last row! They were still pretty good and we could see everything.  We had a great view of all the red hockey jerseys everyone was wearing. I've never been one to really like hockey jerseys, but after seeing to so many here, it kind of makes me want one!  I gave out a few Canada Loot Bags to some kids that were in my section, including the family sitting beside us.  They were very excited to add more pins to their collections and the stickers are a big hit.
 
When Team Canada took the ice for their warm up, I couldn't figure out why everyone was booing the goalie.  Later in the game someone explained to me that his nickname is "lou" and that is what everyone was saying.  If you didn't know that, you would swear they were booing him. I was relieved to find out this wasn't the case.


Canada started to scored early on and there were huge cheers from the crowd everytime.  It was complete luck that we got to see them play.  Out of all the games that were on the schedule, I couldn't believe we were fortunate enough to see Team Canada.  The final score was 8-2 for Canada.  Close to the end of the third period, people were chanting "we want Russia".  I'm telling you there are some real characters at these games. I wish I could get good photos of all the costumes, wigs, and face painting that I've seen.  Great to see everyone so into the Olympics and our Canada team.
Tomorrow I'm off to Short Track Speed Skating, an event that Canada usually does well in.  The relay will be really exciting to watch.

Here is a link to the photos for today if you want to check those out.  Hope you are having a great Vancouver 2010.  It is so awesome to be here for this.

Canada Medal Results

Ashleigh McIvor - Gold in Ski Cross

No comments:

Post a Comment